De-cluttering Your Home De-mystified: How to Get Rid of the 'Stuff'
We receive hundreds of calls a year from homeowners just like you, needing dumpsters for one purpose: to de-clutter their home. We've also picked up a few tricks along the way that we're sharing with you here:
- What to Keep, what to toss: When you have finally sorted out the items in your home, start to put them in categories; KEEP/DONATE/TOSS. Remember, by donating to places such as Habitat for Humanity ReStore, you can also turn those donations into tax deductions! It's the ultimate win-win!
- Pace Yourself: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. The same applies to a de-cluttering project. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Pick one room and finish it before moving on to the next.
- Drive Past Memory Lane: It can be very difficult to throw away items that have sentimental value. Once you come to terms with the fact you haven't laid eyes on this object for more than 20 years, you should have reason enough to never miss it again. Snap a picture of it and toss it into the dumpster!
- Prepare Yourself: Have a game-plan for where you are going to put the items you keep and donate. Organize some (not TOO many) containers to set aside in a room that you're planning on keeping.
- Make a List: Start this journey by jotting down a list of the rooms, the space needed, and the things to sort through. As you complete these tasks, cross them off and move on to the next one.
- Professional Guidance: The internet is a valuable resource when it comes to de-cluttering. From helping you create your checklist to tackling specific de-cluttering projects, there is no home organization subject that isn't addressed somewhere online. Simply search "De-clutter", and get to work!
To discover more de-cluttering tips and about living an organized lifestyle check out the Bin There Dump That corporate blog